Thursday, July 3, 2008

I'm Lonely. Does anyone care? God Understands - Psalm 139

We are never alone. God knows and undestands us intimately. God cares for us and uses the Psalms to show that he understands this feeling of loneliness.

Lonely Lies: Nobody notices me
Psalms 139:1 <> O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.

(LORD in capitals means the personal name of God. He knows everything about us and when we are alone and sad, He is there. He takes personal interest in your life and loves you. Friends may fail us but God will always be there. He knows all our sins and died to save us. How much more will he embrace his child when they are lonely?)

2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

(We are never outside his presence. He surrounds us. We can't escape God's love for us)

4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.

(He knows everything you did. He knows the secret thoughtst that we would be embarrassed to admit to anyone else. Even so he still loves you)

Lonely Lies: I want to be alone

5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

(When God sees us in need. He takes initiative to lay his hand on us. To comfort us if we want it).

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

Lonely Lies: Nobody wants me around
7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

(Our natural reaction when we are depressed and sad is to push others away. We don't want others around us because no one understands. However, we can never leave God's presence. God knows that while you are running, you actually want comfort. When others give up on making you feel better, God continues to stand next to us to comfort us.)

Lonely Lies: I'm just a cosmic accident or part of evolution, not created by a loving God
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

(When we say "who cares about me?" The answer is, God cares about us. He formed us meticulously and carefully and even bothered to make sure your DNA is unique to everyone else just to show you that he knows you specifically. It is a comfort to know not just SOMEONE cares but a God who created everything and us, cares.)

Lonely Lies: God doesn't care about the forsaken, downcast and lonely.

19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

(God is the great avenger and empathises with people who are cast down, wronged or abused. God will judge. But he is also merciful so come just as you are to your loving God. The God who was betrayed by his disciple, he knows how it feels to be alone).

2 comments:

  1. I've been lonely for a long time,God doesn't care one bit.I wish I could die :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may feel that God doesn't love you but that doesn't mean that he doesn't. It just means you need to get to know him

    ReplyDelete